Monday, December 31, 2012

Review on 2012

2012 has been yet another interesting and probably memorable year for me. A number of achievements were made and lots of valuable experience was gained throughout the year. I shall make use of today's post to take one last look at 2012 before the new year arrives in a few hours.

Back in January, I started off the year by injuring my left foot in Pulau Tekong. This resulted in my inability to participate in the 24km route march and passing out parade. I felt frustrated as I had attended lots of parade rehearsals and had to endure the scroching sun when I was in them. Fast forward one week and I was posted to Stagmont Camp where my journey as a signaller commenced.

Eight weeks in Stagmont Camp and life as a trainee there ended so quickly. Before I knew it, I was living in another army camp. Sungei Gedong, located in Lim Chu Kang, can be considered (and probably guaranteed) to be the one of the top three least accessible military bases in little Singapore. There is only one bus service which happens to be a loop service and you'll have to ride in it for at least ten minutes before you get to see some civilization.

It was totally a culture shock when I first entered my unit, the reason shall to this shall remain secret. You can ask me privately if you are keen to find out. Blah blah blah, the first two months there was mundane as I was still a newbie. Then in May, I got a swollen eye. It looked so serious that I ended up seeing four doctors that range from polyclinic to camp medical officer to A&E doctor and finally the ophthalmologist at NUH. The swell subsided but came back at least five times throughout the year.

If my foot injury was considered one-time unlucky then the intermittent swelling of my eyelid should be called a continuous run of bad luck. Moving on to June. It was during this month that I had to accept the reality that my 21-year record of not travelling overseas since birth will soon come to a glorious end as I was confirmed to be part of the team that is going to Australia for Exercise Wallaby.

July came, followed by August and National Day Parade, the first time I was so eager to watch it for whatever reason. Then came September where I started counting down to Ex. Wallaby. As each day passed by, I felt as if my time "left" in Singapore was getting less and I had to manage my time more wisely. October arrived at last and there I was, sitting in an aeroplane for the first time in my life, on my way to a far away land.

Spent forty-one days in an area called Rockhampton. That is probably the only time in my entire life I will ever go to that city in Australia. Thankfully, it was beneficial, meaningful and most importantly memorable. I still think about the place and the people there every now and then since returning to Singapore for more than a month. I don't mind going through it again though, honestly.

After returning from Australia, I felt that it was high time and I take charge of my life and stop dwelling on the memories I had while being stuck there. I made a lot of changes in my lifestyle. I am even hitting the books now as I mark my return to studying (on an unofficial basis) after more than one and a half years.

2012 is also the year that will always be remembered as the "slim down" year for me. I lost a substantial amount of weight and fat under my skin due to a change in diet and lifestyle and massive spamming of exercise and sports every week. Many people who have not seen me for quite a while had commented on the new and slimmer me. 2013 will be the year I aim to put on more lean mass (muscle) as I believe that I had "overachieved" my goal in the process of losing weight.

With this post, this blog has a total of 885 entires to date. Looking forward to an exciting 2013 where I target to reach the 1000-mark by then. See you next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...