Tuesday, July 14, 2009

14 July

Alright, it's blogging time! For the past one week, it has been a relatively dull period for blogs. Seems that there was some sort of a pandemic in the local blogosphere that infected everyone with a mental block. Which means people had no inspiration to blog in short

Whether you are a regular reader, occassional one or just some stranger who ended up here after clicking links from you friend's friend's friend's blog, you must be thinking of this. So what does this guy have in store for me finally?

Actually the answer is nothing much. Stocks around the world went up today. Yeah three cheers for this good news but how long will it last?

Urumqi is still unsettled after a week. Honestly I think the name Urumqi doesn't sound "cheena" enough to be a place in China. I first knew about this place when playing Geography Challenge on Facebook. Then, in the section where you are supposed to click the exact location of a place on the world map, I clicked somewhere in North Africa when I saw it. I thought it was some Muslim area in Egypt

Anyway if this blog doesn't provide you the entertainment you require for your daily online needs then check out the Star blog section at Stomp. This week's topic has set several star bloggers ranting about things and spicing up their entry with juicy contents

Well, if you haven't realized, I have actually wrote quite a number of words already so I think I'm starting to get back my inspiration. Before I end this post, I shall teach or rather share with you all some tips and mistakes we commonly make in the English Language. I will have one or two of them at the end of every post for at least a month so stay tuned. I shall start from the letter A

Above-mentioned


This is one of those old-fashioned phrases from our great-grandfather's generation which refer to whatever was in the subject heading or paragragh above. This phrase should not be used in modern 21st century writing. It sounds so "out"

Instead of "Thank you for registering for the the above-mentioned course", say "Thank you for registering for this course"

If the subject is in plural form, then use the word "these" instead of "this" but never "above", "above-mentioned" or the typical "said"

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...