Saturday, June 30, 2012

Memories of buses

It was only recently that I realized a certain bus model in Singapore has become extinct. After doing some research to confirm my suspicions, I am sad to say that the Volvo B10M Mark III model of SBS Transit will be missed by many bus enthusiasts like me.


I do not consider myself as an avid fan of the designs or engines of buses. However, growing up in a metropolis where public transport is easily accessible, bus rides have inevitably become a part of my life. Hence, observing buses is something I always do to kill time while travelling.

The Volvo B10M Mark III used to be one of the most commonly seen models on Singapore roads. Service 96, which ferries NUS students from Clementi central to their campus, used to have this model for almost all of its buses.

I also discovered that the last bus here had its swansong more than three weeks ago. These vehicles have been present on our roads since 1992 and boast a couple of unflattering yet memorable features which ring a bell in people's minds if you were to tell them about it.

The most prominent one has got to be the uneven seating at the rear. Those with tons of shopping bags or a luggage may have to take a while to adjust themselves before they can accommodate their bodies and baggage in that limited space between seats.

Also, these buses do not possess any standing area thus, making them less practical in a country with an increasing population. Scrapping them was the only solution to moving forward.

Speaking of which, I found out that another model, the commonly-seen Mercedes-Benz O405, has been scrapped too. It went into history since last year and heck, I actually didn't realize about it until now.


The Mercedes-Benz O405 was one of my favourite models. That distinctive heavy noise it makes when accelerating and the trademark wheels it spots are all the nostalgic bits that I have observed and still remember since kindergarten years.

My favourite model till today is still the Volvo Duple Metsec DM3500. It looks similar to the B10M Mark III except that it looks cooler. In my opinion, it gives off a cosy feeling that allows the passenger to enjoy his journey in tranquillity. A bus that allows one to look for inspiration while travelling in it.


Buses are vehicles, a form of transportation. But if you were to look at them from a different angle, they are more than just mobile machines, they are memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...