Friday, March 29, 2013

A Drop of Water

 It's been a long time since I last wrote a story so if you are craving for one by me, here's my latest work of art.

***

I entered the study room. The darkness prompted me to switch on the lights. I waited for two seconds before heading towards the study table.

That study table. That familiar study table. Plus, that wooden chair which I always felt was a little too low for me. My study table was the place where I experienced joy and pain.

From solving chemistry questions to playing computer games to writing my first résumé. The study table was my bed, my punching bag but more importantly, it was a place for me to distance myself away from everyone and everything.

I took three books out from the drawer and slammed them on the table before taking in a deep breath. Just as I flip open the Strategic Marketing book, my handphone exploded to ruin the tranquility which I was enjoying.

"Hello? Yeah John?"

"Choi, I got something to ask you."

"Maths?"

"Yeah, this question...I've problems..."

"Erm, my phone is running out of batt"

I ended the call and switched off the device. I turned my head left to observe the ant which was crawling on my book before closing my eyes.

A minute had passed when I decided to stop wasting time by shutting my eyelids. The tranquility was gone. I felt that the mood to study was disappearing. After looking at the ant crawling down the book, I powered on my laptop.

I was thinking of what to do with my laptop when the doorbell rang.

"Anybody at home? We're here to promote our new product.."

I ignored them and decided to edit some photos which I took in California last month. I enjoyed the feeling of being all alone in front of my laptop editing photos. I loved to explore the functions and boundaries of the photo editing software.

I browsed the pictures and decided to edit one which was a close-up of John, Suzy and I. Suzy has known me for five years and is always my best friend whenever she needs my help.

My brain stopped working for a nanosecond. I wondered if the three of us were really best friends. Whenever I am alone, I always believed that my best friend was myself. However, John and Suzy never fail to make me change my mind when they are present.

Sometimes, I do feel lonely. Sometimes, I do feel unappreciated. Most of the time, I wonder if validation or freedom is more important?

I looked for the ant. It was now crawling down the table, probably heading somewhere to meet its friends.

It was getting warm. I got up to switch the fan on. When I turned back, I realized that the ceiling was leaking. And I needed help. From who?

Plunging down from the crack on the ceiling was.

A drop of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...