Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pathetic English

I received an email from the leader of my FYP group today. After reading the email, I must say that I felt a bit worried. It is not the content of the email which bothered me, it was the written English

There were quite a number of grammar mistakes. Some were rather unacceptable to the point that even a China man would laugh at. I know I may sound very evil here but this is my style and I'm pointing out a fact

By the way, there was confusion in the email. The sentence in the email and the one stated in the word doc attachment contradict each other resulting in me getting confused

Back to the topic on why I was worried. My group consists of my leader, a local Malay girl, a China man and me lah. Looking at how good my leader constructs his sentences, I don't have high hopes of him writing reports. The Malay girl might still be alright, I don't know. China man no need to say lah, hor?

So, I shamelessly reckon that I will be the public relations manager, corporate communications director, marketing executive, chief presenter and any other language-related position of my group

I used to work with other people where they created powerpoint slides with not-so-impressive English. I edited lots of things so that our presentation would look better and the person was a little pissed off but couldn't do anything

For this FYP, I got a weird sense of déjà vu

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...