Monday, August 13, 2012

Dental check-up at MMI


Went to SAF's Military Medicine Institute (MMI) this afternoon for a dental check-up. The check-up was compulsory for all those heading to Australia later this year. It is located inside a building called DSO which is situated in NUS, not some army camp.

It took us quite a while to find that DSO Building after alighting from the taxi. We managed to get to the back of the building but didn't realize that it was our destination. At last, we ended up walking in circles (literally) until we spotted the words "DSO" on one of the buildings.

The elevators in the building were rather bizarre. You had to press the number of the floor you are heading to at the lift lobby instead of doing it inside the lift. From what I remember, the only buttons in the elevator were doors opening and closing.

Needless to say, we were a little stunned when we stared at the number pad at the lift lobby. There was not any button which clearly indicates that it is for the lift. Luckily the security guard was there to quell our doubts. I bet he has encountered countless of sua kus like us day in day out.

The check-up was pretty straightforward and predictable. Two medics brought me to an X-ray room, took an X-ray of my teeth before I saw the dentist. As expected, it was just see-see-look-look with the usual dentistry instruments like the mouth mirror. The whole thing lasted within a couple of minutes for me.

However, there are others who were advised to extract their wisdom teeth, undergo gum-cleaning or seek treatment for their dental cavities. I am glad that the state of my oral health is still in good condition. I always make it a point to brush my teeth the correct way since I learnt it in primary school, unlike everyone else around me who scrub their teeth aimlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...