Wednesday, August 08, 2012

NDP 2012


Happy birthday to Singapore! Every year without fail, I would dedicate a post about National Day and 2012 is no different. For me, this year's NDP is slightly more worth watching as some of the performers are my friends. They were my platoon mates who shared weal, no woe and more woe with me during those days in Tekong.

Some of them are part of the Silent Precision Drill Squad, a sub-unit of the Military Police formation, which is responsible for juggling, spinning and doing other acrobatic acts with rifles. Others are from the Guards formation which happens to be the organizer of this year's parade.

To commemorate NS45, I read that there will be a couple of extra performances to salute those who have served and sacrificed for NS this year. Not trying to be biased as an NSF but I think this is a meaningful thing to recognize the efforts of citizen soldiers.

However, I think the money spent on organizing and planning those drills can be better utilized if it was distributed out as cash. That would surely be a more practical and memorable way to acknowledge the contributions of our servicemen.

Lastly, good luck to the performers of tomorrow's show. Oh yes, before I forget, I had always wanted to say this. Every year when National Day is around the corner, I need to speak three times louder thanks to the Republic of Singapore Air Force.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...