Sunday, May 27, 2012

Thunderstorm this morning

Some sixteen hours ago, my block, the trees around my block and myself experienced one of the worst and most unforgettable thunderstorms ever. It was only three in the morning when winds that are as strong as a hurricane came blasting right into my apartment, forcing me to wake up from my sweet dreams and stop the situation from aggravating.

The speed at which the wind was travelling created a powerful "wooo" sound that will pressurize you to be fully alert. The energetic air currents kept spraying rainwater at the windows leaving me with no choice but to shut them tight. Lightning was flashing every seven seconds like some gigantic LED signboard. My ears had to anticipate for the thunder whenever a lightning occurs and that was a total distraction.

However, the worst has yet to arrive. My house encountered a blackout! It was early in the morning when the moon was still shining so a blackout might not be obvious during then. But that damn meter box (the one which calculates how much electricity you use) outside my flat got burnt or you could say exploded. I saw it with my own eyes from tangent fifty-six degrees via the window (exaggerating) when sparks burst out like a mini fireworks showcase.

I was unsure if my house was the sole victim in the entire block because the corridor lights were still working. It was also impractical to knock on my neighbour's door at such a time to check with them. Heck, I would be drenched by the time I walked along the corridor to the units juxtaposing mine. Left with no choice, I decided to visit the toilet while continuing to brainstorm about this thunderstorm.

But, in the end, I was only paying attention to the flashing bolts which kept discharging from the sky like some mass production taking place. I decided to ignore everything since I had already tried doing everything and went to bed. Luckily, I was still able to enter sleep mode and woke up in the morning to see some uncle fixing the meter box outside my flat. By the way, my block is featured in STOMP, but not for positive reasons.
.
Taken from stomp.com.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...