Sunday, February 14, 2010

CNY Special 1

Starting from today while it is Chinese New Year, I will be posting a three-part story about this annual occasion and discuss about the hidden and flawed side of it in the modern day

***

I walked up the stairs slowly and unwillingly. Dad and Mum were at least two floors above me already. Melvin did not fare any better, he was behind me

"Quick Natalie, Melvin, we're already late"

"Late then late lor, who cares"

A long and awkward silence followed. The only sound which was heard were the footsteps of me on my high heels. I turned around to make sure that my younger brother was still behind because it was odd not to hear him make some noise. I turned my head back and decided to double my speed by taking two steps a time

"Jie, wait for me"

Upon reaching the fifth floor, I self-checked my dress to ensure that I look presentable and worthy of a challenge to my other female cousins. Melvin was panting as if he had just scaled a mountain. My parents were waiting for us

"Why are both of you so slow?"

"I'm wearing high heels ok?"

"Mummy, why can't we just take the lift?"

"Boy, remember what Daddy said? Pu pu gao sheng, we should take the stairs today to be auspicious"

Lame lame lame, what are Chinese so particular about everything? Don't they find life to be so tedious with all these restrictions? Only naive people will believe in all these things

"Have you got ready the oranges?"

"Yes Calvin, I've placed them on top of the bag"

We walked towards the last unit at the end of the corridor excluding me, I dragged myself there. "Ok Natalie", I told myself, "it's time you put up another good show like a professional actress when you see your relatives in less than ten seconds, be demure, polite and sociable"

The gate of first uncle's house was unlocked. Mum stepped in first as she was the first to take off her shoes. I was taking mine off as I heard greetings of "happy new year" in front of me. I took a deep breath, rose up and saw my first uncle smiling at me. I reached out my hand to gesture a handshake

"Happy new year uncle"

"Ho ho ho, happy new year to you! Wow she has grown prettier already"

The second sentence was directed at my parents even though his eyes were looking at me. I replied humbly "lose to your daughter lah". I think I deserve an Oscar nomination for this

"Uncle gong xi fa cai"

As expected, Melvin and his bootlicking tactics, all at a tender age of eleven. Must be the genes he got from his parents. Luckily I did not inherit it. I looked around the living room and many eyes looked back at me, waiting for me to acknowledge them. One by one, I greeted the seniors

"Natalie"

I turned around

"You look so red today!"

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...