Friday, February 19, 2010

CNY Special 3

This is the third and final of the three-part story about the flawed and hidden side of CNY. Read the first and second posts first if you haven't before reading this one to understand the story

***

As a girl, I was definitely not the first one to finish eating even though I was very hungry. Moreover, there were countless slices of Calmex brand abalone in front of me

Leon and his dad finished first. Soon, a few more males started standing up and carried their plates to the kitchen. That's good as it "frees" the ladies to have more space for activity

Lunch was the only thing that kept me entertained at first uncle's house. I decided to play with my iPhone while resting on the sofa

"Natalie jie jie, can lend me play"

It was my seven year old cousin, Bryan

"oh ok, what game you want to play"

"I choose myself"

And he snatched the black device from my hands. And I am bored again

I decided to direct my attention at the TV which was switched on to create some noise in the house when it is already so ear-popping. I realized that I was the only person in the living room watching it. Rain was on the show so it wasn't that bad after all

"eh, jie jie, you got one message"

"oh let me see"

And I snatched it back from him

"So how is CNY, did u miss me? any more visiting at nite? if not den i come pick you up for Valentine's Day later?-Anthony"

Oooo, now I am not bored anymore. I took some time to think before replying him

"yes yes I miss you, I XXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX, XXXXX"

A few minutes later, it was angbao giving time. I received about five of them. Some were quite thin while others contained many notes. I placed them in my bag and secretly went to the toilet where I, ok you know what right?

"hey Natalie, are you ready? I need to use the toilet"

My mum was waiting outside. I quickly stuffed all the dollar notes into the biggest angbao as I forgotten which angbao they belonged to and placed them in my bag

"why are you carrying your bag into the toilet?"

"huh? no lah, 'cause I think like got a bit dirty so bring in to wash with water lor. Aiyah, next time don't buy white colour already lah, so easy dirty"

She believed me

When we finally left together with other relatives, I softly asked Melvin a question while we were waiting for the lift

"yours how much"

"sixty-two only, last year still got sixty-sixty leh"

"wah, you still remembered last year's amount? And why is yours always more than mine?"

"then you leh?"

"fifty-eight"

I wondered if I had dropped four dollars into the toilet bowl while counting the money just now

I sms-ed Anthony while we were in the car on the way home

"meeteu at 5.30 ltr, come pick me up under my block"

I waited patiently for his reply while looking at Melvin play his Nintendo DS

"what do you all want to have for dinner later? I am not cooking, there's nothing to cook anyway" Mum said

"Just order KFC"

"Calvin, that's very oily, you've already been eating a lot of bak kwa"

I was still waiting for his reply

"I want to eat KFC, I want I want!"

"See? Majority wins, even Melvin also wants it"

"How about you Natalie?"

"Erm, I might be going out with Anthony tonight"

"Oh, didn't heard you mentioned that earlier"

"It's still not confirmed"

When we reached home, it was already half past three. I threw myself on the sofa. I saw the tin of pineapple tarts and decided to have a few of them

Actually, why do we have to buy so much Chinese New Year goodies as a form of treating our guests when we, the owners, are the ones who finish them all up?

I closed my eyes and thought of that question while lying on the sofa. An hour later I was awoke by an SMS to my iPhone

"hi sorry for the late reply...ok sure, c u ltr, wad do u wanna have for dinner?"

"KFC!" I replied

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...