Thursday, August 15, 2013

LAL, you will be missed


Two Sundays ago, my lousy Acer laptop (oh what a nostalgic name) died passed away peacefully. I have no idea what was the cause of its demise because it was still working fine the day before. I tried switching it on 4 August but the screen remained black while it was booting up. After a few seconds, it switched itself off before powering up immediately and switching off again for good.

The same thing happens when I tried to power it own for the next ten times. I thought it was just an unfortunate day and the laptop was protesting for a well-deserved break. Silly me. The next day, I thought it will be resuscitated for no reason, just like how it stopped functioning for no reason. I was wrong. And was still wrong the day after.

Eventually, I brought it to the Acer service centre at Jurong East. I was prepared to pay a repair fee as the warranty has already expired. I waited for half an hour in the queue before the staff informed me that the minimum cost of repair was 300 bucks excluding tax. He didn't know what the problem was but went for the safest answer by putting the blame on the motherboard.

Of course I wasn't going to go ahead with 300 bucks on a five-year old computer. It makes more sense to shop for a new one which I am currently busy with. The people whom I had consulted had differing opinions on computer brands.

Person A would recommend Brand D as it's from America while Person B says Brand D is infamous for overheating. Person C thinks Brand A is a cheap and reliable option but Person D believes Brand A makes the worst computers. Person E strongly recommends a certain European brand while Person F thinks that brand's products are priced more than what they are worth. And the list goes on.

65 months of service. My lousy Acer laptop went through thick and thin with me throughout my time in poly. It was the device used to work on countless of assignments, my principal source of entertainment and of course, the platform which majority of this blog's posts were typed on. It was almost like a pet, minus the pet name.

I know, I shall name it LAL from now on if you know what I mean.

LAL seemed to be in good health when compared to those (same model) used by my friends. Many of them have seen their laptop perish after 2 to 3 years of usage. Also, despite the scorching and dusty conditions of Shoalwater Bay Training Area, LAL was still going strong to keep me occupied every day during last year's Ex Wallaby.

So, in remembrance of this laptop for its "service and sacrifices", I have decided to institute a honour called the Order of Raymond and confer it to the one and only LAL.

Why not? You see, some people earn millions of dollars after more than a decade on a job which main tasks are to shake hands, take pictures and attend charity events. Plus, after doing all the above, you get millions of dollars and even a national honour after stepping down.

LAL was not paid a single cent and worked tirelessly for me. Shouldn't it deserve an award too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...