Friday, January 13, 2012

BMT posting: Signals


1. You are posted to SIG INSTITUTE
2. Your vocation is SIG OPR
3. Your are to report to: Stagmont Camp, Blk 207, #02-16

This is what I got, staring blankly at my face, after refreshing the NS portal website for more than ten times this morning.

In case you don't know, I am posted to the Signal training school to learn all about erm, signals for eight weeks before moving on to another unit where I will stay there until ORD arrives.

After spending the whole day researching and reading up on Signals, I still don't understand what does it really do and how is it useful during a war.

The only thing which I do know is that my formation badge will be two flags bisecting each other. Oh yeah, and if you are wondering. Stagmont Camp is in Choa Chu Kang, a 20-minute walk from the MRT station.

Enough about my posting, I would like share my opinion about this e-posting system instead. At 10am sharp, I accessed the website and it didn't came to a surprise for me that the page took forever to load.

I manage to view my posting after more than 10 reloads and 25 minutes. However, when I clicked on the "continue" button, history repeated itself.

Clearly, this is not the best way for recruits to check their postings. A manual and more direct way would be either by post or phone call or even both unless Mindef buys more servers.

Last but not least, why must the posting be in short form? Can't they state "SIGNAL OPERATOR" instead of just "SIG OPR"? Fortunately I was able to decipher it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...