Thursday, September 03, 2009

Percussionist

This is the second of the three part series regarding school politics

***

Over the years, we have met all types of people in our lives. Especially during our school days, it is during that period where we get to come across people of different attitudes, backgrounds, characters, or in short ABC

I would like to talk about a classmate of mine. He plays a musical instrument which belongs to the percussion group. So I shall call him percussionist. Percussionist is smart person, not only academically but also mentally. He has a strong interest in the study of the course that we are in, hence, naturally he tends to do well in all the core modules. Needless to say, he is a top student

With all his good grades and quality assignments, percussionist is no doubt every teacher's pet. He gets a tit tat better treatment than the rest of us from the teachers. Take our "Virtual Entertainment Cultivation for a System of Interlinked Hypertext Documents accessed via the Internet" module for example. It is a subject about creating games for new media. Our teacher for this module is obviously biased towards him. Almost every lesson, you can hear her calling out percussionist's name, asking him if he is facing any difficulties or whether has he finished his work

Of course he is not the only student whom the teacher treats that way, she also does the same thing to the others but that happens occasionally. The area where percussionist is seated will always be visited by the teacher first when she walks around the classroom to help us out. Sometimes, she would even walk halfway through the classroom and then turn back and approach percussionist again, leaving the rest of us stranded at the other end

When he skips lessons due to whatever reasons, the teacher also doesn't seem to bother him because his good work has more than compensate for his attendance record. What I would like to say here is that, a student can afford to misbehave, rebel, oppose, slack in school as long as he produces desirable results

I remember when I was still in the first semester of my first year, Mathematics looked easily understandable to me and I aced through all the work without breaking a sweat. Our maths teacher then did not bother me either, even when I did an "experiment" in class by pretending to sleep, she didn't childe me at all. If it was someone else who scored sixty-five for his test, I doubt he will receive the same treatment

Unfortunately, percussionist's good results might turn out to be his downfall eventually. He is a rather proud and arrogant young man but you cannot completely blame him. It is all human nature, the desire to show off your high status to others who are below you. I was never haughty before(unless you can prove otherwise)in school or rather in schoolwork. If someone asks me a question, I will try my best to use the simplest way to explain the solution if I do know it myself, to whoever he or she is

You cannot say the same for percussionist. His egotistical character is a big turn-off to many people in our class. Although it is straining to ask him, we still do it because ultimately he is one of the best person who can help us. Gradually, percussionist will think that he is indispensable. This could possibly trigger the start of his downfall

Honestly speaking and speaking up for all those who do not dare to speak up, I would like to say that we all hate him to a certain extent. Yes we do hate him whether is it his big-headed problem, his constant disturbing of a couple of our other classmates or the favouritism which he gets from teachers. But we still choose not to tell him because he is a good student, academically, and we need him

So, dear reader, study hard

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...