Sunday, May 13, 2012

Alphabet Song


You might not notice or realize that whenever we recite the alphabet song, we tend not to sing it at a constant speed. Don't believe? Try singing it in your head now. Still can't figure it out? Well, sing it again and take note when you are at L, M, N, O, P.

I think the reason why homo sapiens say the alphabet L to P really fast is because our mouths and tongues are not designed to utter the sound of the alphabet L before M and N. Plus, we have to do it in a rhythmic manner so things can get a bit tedious.

If you look at the musical notation of the original alphabet song, the letters L, M, N and O all share the same note. That would explain why we are in a hurry to complete the L to P part since we already know that we are going to use the same tone.

No matter how hard (or slow) I try, I just could not resist myself to slow down whenever I reach the alphabet L. Also, after saying the alphabet P, there will be an inevitable slight pause before I continue with Q. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...