Monday, November 26, 2012

Ex Wallaby round-up: Part 1

Hey readers! I've missed you guys, it's been too long. I am glad to be back in Singapore and I bring back with me lots of memories and stories to share.

I tried my best to include as many pictures as possible to fully describe my experience in Australia. Don't worry; it is of a moderate amount unlike other bloggers who conveniently spam photos in one entry and make the poor readers scroll down hastily until some text is seen.

In case you are still unaware, this happens to be the first time I am travelling out of my beloved Singapore. It is also the first time that I am (so sua key) taking a plane. Also for the first time, experiencing cold weather, something which can't be done in humid Singapore.

Like the company, the boarding pass hardly looks impressive

So, some 6 weeks ago, I boarded a Malaysian Airlines aircraft. Truth is, I almost had trouble boarding it because the lady at the first checkpoint said I had two spanners in my bag. However, "spanner" was not mentioned during the second and final inspection at the departure hall so the tools flew with me anyway.

The plane was only three-quarters full and since it was a chartered flight, all the passengers were your "own people". I decided to move all the way to the last row since the back was relatively empty. Many from my unit did the same and we sort of conquered the back of the plane.

For a company like MAS, I think it scored fairly well in terms of its service and meals. The pillow was so comfortable that I ended up trying to force two of them inside my bag. In the end, I only managed to squeeze one in. Later on, I was shocked to discover that I wasn't the only one who did that.

The best thing about sitting at the back is that nobody knows that you took pictures of their legs

The only thing that could be improved on is the in-flight entertainment. Unlike SIA which has a dedicated screen for every passenger, MAS broadcasts its shows on pathetically small TVs for all to watch. Those seated in the last row like me will only end up as victims of eye strain.

Approximately an hour before touchdown, the pilot announced that the temperature in Rockhampton, our destination, was twenty degrees Celsius. The moment I heard the number 20, my mind went blank. I was already freezing on the plane and still had to undergo more coldness when I step out of it.

It was 9:30pm local time and I had to endure the cold temperatures at Rockhampton Airport as I didn’t have a jacket or sweater. We were wasting a lot time at the airport after alighting as there were only two immigration officers present to facilitate our arrival. And believe or not, there was only one plane and one flight in the whole airport that night. What a boring place.

After all the waiting, we collected our luggage and proceeded to board the coach which transported us to a place far away from civilisation, the place where we will be spending the next 30-odd days at, the place which consists of rocks, sand, trees, never-ending roads and countless of landforms that stretch above the surrounding terrain.

When I was arrived at the airport, it still didn't feel like I was away from Singapore. The people around me were Singaporeans; the toilet looked quite Singapore plus a bit cleaner. Even the coach whom I boarded felt familiar as the driver's seat is also on the right.

It was until the vehicle started moving and passed by other vehicles that I changed my mindset. The moment I realized that the plate numbers of vehicles looked different; I finally realized that I was out of Singapore, away from home, for the first time in my life, for the next forty days.

OMG, how am I gonna survive it? Find out in Part 2 tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...