Wednesday, May 01, 2013

RIP Lim Chong Ping


Seems that life is really fragile after all. Not too long ago, I dedicated a blog post to the ex-principal of my secondary school. She left the world about two weeks ago. Then a couple of days later, it was Mediacorp artiste Huang Wenyong. All of a sudden, Singapore seems to have lost arguably the greatest actor of his generation.

This week, news about the death of a platoon mate of mine during my recruit days surfaced in the media, both in print and online. Lim Chong Ping, the tall and lean guy who used to gossip with me during PT sessions, you will be missed.

Actually, I already knew about Chong Ping's death the day after that unfortunate event took place in December 2012. I was quite devastated (for ten seconds) when I first came to know of it in my platoon's Facebook group. In fact, I was still questioning myself if it was just a dream.

However, after reading the comments of other platoon mates, I was certain that everything was genuine and just had to accept the fact one of my friends was gone for good. On a positive note, I was glad that I did not last see Chong Ping at the end of BMT. Many of them including some from my bunk were last seen by me on the day before the passing out parade.

I met Chong Ping, who served as a combat medic and was the only one in our platoon who was posted as medic, at Nee Soon Camp in September last year while I was on some medic course there. We talked for quite a while and he seemed rather joyful then. Little did I expect that to be the final encounter I had with him.

Sadly, Chong Ping was the only absentee during our platoon's photo-shoot as he was on medical leave then. Now, his absence will not only be felt in that photo but in reality as well.

After reading the reports in the media, question marks still exist in my mind. These question marks will never be erased unless Chong Ping is present to quell the doubts. Dude, I don't think you will ever jump into the river like that if you were sober. A moment of madness cost you your life.

Did Chong Ping really take the plunge just because he wanted to distract his cousin from his argument with his girlfriend? Couldn't he have done something less hazardous to stop the bickering? Did he choose to go for the water just because he was a certified life guard?

Only Chong Ping has the answers to these questions. Until then, rest in peace bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...