Sunday, June 02, 2013

Golden Point Award


Oh well, I have made up my mind to participate in this year's Golden Point Award. It is the country's biennial competition for creative writing. There are two categories, short story and poetry and it wouldn't take you for more than a couple of seconds to know which one am I taking part in.

My poetry writing skills are too humble for a competition. At best, I can only carve out a poem, peppered with colloquial Singaporean English, that reflects about life (in Singapore). The end-product will most likely look like a piece of work labelled under the genre of satire.

I am still deliberating whether to submit an existing piece of work, the short stories which I have written over the years, or enter intense brainstorming mode to come up with a new and original one. The latter would be no doubt be more challenging and time-consuming

However, I am not confident with the ones I have in my arsenal. I am not really optimistic that all of them will be crushed when coming up against the works of other talented writers. Problem is, I still haven't got a clue what concept or plot am I going to pen.

If you do have an idea, why not share it with me and make life easier for me? But why would anyone do that when they can just submit it on their own in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...