Sunday, April 29, 2012

Alternatives to iPod Touch


I am currently looking for a device which can keep me entertained while I am in camp. Something that is similar to the well-known iPod Touch of Apple Inc. I could make life easier for myself by simply getting an iPod Touch, used and trusted by many of my friends. But something inside me told me to be different and not follow the crowd plus I don't really plan to own an Apple product in my entire life.

I did some research and managed to discover a few products which are resemble the iPod Touch. Apple has been ruling the portable media player market for almost two years until rival companies started launching theirs to counter the iPod Touch.


Samsung Galaxy Player 5

It's 5 inch display beats iPod Touch's 3.5 inch screen hands down. Able to support a number of video formats and one can slot in a Micro SD card for extra memory. However, it has a front and rear camera which means military camps are gonna ban it for sure. Out.

Phillips GoGear Connect

The plus point about it is its relatively cheap price tag. It is almost like a sibling of iPod Touch but I do not like its design so I'll say, out!

Cowon D3

Supports a wide range of video as well as audio formats and boasts superb audio quality. It is a bit too expensive though. Also, ask twenty friends of yours and see how many of them have ever heard of a brand called "Cowon". Is it even on sale in Singapore?

Creative Zen Touch 2

As much as I want to show my support for local brands just like how I blindly support local films (even though some of them suck), I can't do it when it comes to Creative. Sim Wong Hoo may be a great entrepreneur but their infamous lawsuit with Apple made me minus points from them.

This product has a smaller display than iPod Touch and comes at a smaller price too. Is capable of running multiple Android apps simultaneously but consists of a 2-megapixel fixed focus camera so yeah, you know what I mean. Out!

Sony Walkman Z

Boasts a 4.3 inch screen, starts from 16GB and comes from a famous Japanese electronics company. Looks stylish with its sculpted look and comes with a pair of top-notch headphones not to mention the impressive audio quality.

The downside about this device is that it has no memory expansion (it's alright, since memory cards are banned in camps), an average screen resolution (I'm fine so long as it's not blur like some dying television).

It is clear that Sony is directly competing with Apple's iPod Touch by having a bigger screen and a number of features worth showing off. It is also clear that I have set my sights on it. Now, I just have to check out what is the market price in order not get scammed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...