Friday, July 05, 2013

Enrolment Talk

Attended my university enrolment talk at SIM this morning. For you information, the next official stage of my education is University of London at SIM. I will be putting myself into the dangerous waters of the economics and finance course for the next three years of my life. Allow me to sidetrack from today's enrolment talk first.

I never fail to get the same reaction from all the different people who chatted with me about my choice of study. When I reply "Oh erm, UOL!", they will go "Tough sia!" or "Heard it's not easy...". The more creative ones would say "Not bad, their programmes are directed by LSE." And one of them believes that a zero-project study life is too mundane. UOL is 100% exam-based anyway.

I will probably make them exclaim for the second time within ten seconds when I state the course I am enrolled in. Friend Q, with a background in electrical engineering, laughed as he just couldn't believe how is it possible to pass such rigourous subjects. Well, most of the time, when people go "Wow!", a voice in my head will reply "Fantastic Baby".



My point is pretty simple. What's the point of doing an easy degree? Yes, there are other partner universities like the Majestic Melbie in SIM which makes life more comfortable. However, do I want to go through a less challenging journey? Yes, UOL can painful. But I believe getting poked in the arms twice by someone who has absolutely no medical background is much worse than anything which doesn't inflict physical pain.

Back to today's talk. Unfortunately, I happened to be seated in the first row in the lecture theatre due to the timing of my arrival. Plus, I was seated on the right side while the speakers just stood in the middle of the stage. The neck became quite stiff after an hour or so.

I didn't really make any friends as it wasn't an orientation activity. The speakers were pretty decent except for the lady who talked about the administration portion. I almost shut my eyelids at one point because the stuff mentioned was repetitive. I had heard about them since the CCA open house. There were still some important things to take note of but I think the most crucial thing this morning was just getting my student card.

The event ended at approximately half past twelve in the noon.

I can't wait to start school. Odds are still open whether will I survive the waters and make it to another island. Do you dare to place a bet with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...