Saturday, July 20, 2013

One Singapore, why not two or three?



Wooh ho-oh oh! Wooh-ho-oh-oh oh! At last, Singapore has the Big Four. I am not referring to four political parties, four S League teams or four Jack Neo movies. We now have four Singaporean songs, that sounds worst than Justin Bieber singing a duet with Rebecca Black.

Needlessly to say, the infamous Oh yeah YOG song by the so-called talented JJ Lin is one of them and will stay as a permanent member. The next two are the monotonous Saving Gaia which is sung by innocent kids and no-fun-at-all Fun Pack Song, which was copycat-ed from Lady Gaga's Bad Romance.

And *drums rolling* the last spot goes to this year's NDP theme song. What is it called again. Give me a moment to Google it. Ah right, it's One Singapore. Why is it even called One Singapore when there is just one Singapore? Is there a North or South? How about a Republic of China Singapore or Singapore of the Philippines?

Malaysians will probably be thinking that we are copying them. You know, the 1Malaysia thingy by prime minister Najib Razak? I think China should be the only country to be given the right to label themselves with "one". That's because they claim everything to be theirs. Another country, some islands, and being the victim of cyber attacks.

Anyway, the lyrics of One Singapore are horrible. I did a quick check on the internet and discovered that the songwriter was Selena Tay who happens to be this year's creative director. She is also the fat woman you saw in Under One Roof and one-third of the Dim Sum Dollies who, at one point of time, irritated MRT passengers by reminding them to "love your ride".

I switched off the music after ninety seconds when I first played the song. Until now, I have yet to listen to the complete version. The only time I will ever hear it again is when I happen to catch the parade on TV or some inconsiderate music junkie blasts it in a bus. Singapore should have a law which bans people from riding buses if they do not use headphones.


If there is one thing about One Singapore that we can count as positive, it is its ability to unite Singaporeans together as one. Together as one in criticizing and hating this piece of crappy work.

Can't we just have Shigga Shay performing Lim Peh instead?

P.S. I am in no way related to Shigga Shay and I am not publicizing for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...