Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Smartphones versus dumb phones

Smartphones versus dumb phones, the winner is obvious isn't it? Not really after all. Smartphone owners have all the privileges and convenience which his/her dumb phone counterpart do not get to enjoy. Take myself for example. Oh yes, I use a dumb phone in case you are wondering

My Filipino friend, Wyndell, owns an Iphone. Quite some time back while we were waiting for the bus, he was sort of trying to show off his precious gadget to me or rather the features in it. With the ease of using an index finger, he slowly moved each photo with the help of the touchscreen technology while telling me about his story back in his homeland.

Then he showed me an email about this stranger who sent it to him asking if he would like to rent a house in Bedok. Next he used the location-sensing feature to find where in Singapore was it located at and came to a conclusion that it is too far from office

All these actions may seem innocent and just trying to share with me the good features the Iphone has but the bottomline is still about all these features right?

Recounting another experience, Wei Ying who is also an Iphone user sat beside me in the office. She can afford to log in to Facebook via the application on her smartphone and have lots of fun with it while I can only stare with envy because the company network blocks that website

Another colleague, Verlyn who uses Ipod Touch will be discussing with her all the latest applications and games to download and play. To me, all those talking does not mean anything and I am left out somehow or another. But that does not mean dumb phones are going to be out soon

I still remember my first(few)dumb phones. They blasted monophonic ringtones that sounds more irritating than understanding what Jay Chou is singing, texting at high speeds with both thumbs on the small keypad and playing the once popular Snake game in monochrome

They were never laggy and lasted for a number of days without charging thanks to the simplicity of its operating system. Smartphones with complicated interfaces tend to run of battery quicker and might get laggy or hanged if overloaded with applications

Phone manufacturers are not dumb too. There is still survival for dumb phones in the market. Phones with competent multimedia features have been created. They cater to the needs of consumers who like trying out new things but don't want to get involved with sophisticated software. Nokia's XpressMusic and Sony Erricson's Cybershot phones are two good examples

Although people are saying smartphones will become the norm in the future like what people say handphones will be in the past. I don't think it will be in the near future

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...