Saturday, July 25, 2009

What do you see

Have you heard the official theme song for this year's National Day Parade? Well, if you have not, it is titled "What do you see" and is sung by local alternative rock band Electrico. The lyrics and composition were done by them as well. The Chinese version is sung by the long-time MIA Chen Wei Lian



So what do you hear? For myself, what I heard was just another ordinary song that primary, secondary and possibly JC students are forced to belt out during assembly during late July and early August every year. Yes, many people criticized it for being too "in" but not me, maybe because I belong to the Millennial Generation

Some say that it is creativity while others say the song is too hip and not suitable for all ages. I agree that this year's theme song does sound a bit different from it's "ancestors". But I am not commenting that is is good. Instead, I think the lyrics should be edited. The song lacks that kind of patriotic feeling where you can find in older ones like the Stand Up for Singapore and Count Money Singapore, oops sorry it should be Count On Me Singapore

I still prefer the Stephanie Sun versions when I was back in primary school then. I recollect many years ago, there was this chessy dance which we, innocent young kids, were made to do in the hall against our will(at least for me and a few others)

As for the five recent NDP theme songs including this year's one, the only one that I remembered how to sing was My Island Home in 2006. To add on, I only recall how to sing the part which goes "my island home....." and that's it. I know there's a sentence which sounds like "a land of peace" also and that's really the end of the story

Rui En and Taufik Batisah were the singing duo in 2005. One look and you know that the organizers were promoting the guy who was crowned Singapore Idol in the previous year with another up and coming actress. Yes I don't remember how to sing it. I am so honest

Hady Mirza sang the theme song last year and you know what I mean. No he's not the second Singapore Idol, he's the Asian Idol ok? Wow, wow, wow! He really Shine For Singapore. Kit Chan was the singer in 2007 for the first time since her debut in 1998

I forgot how to sing all of them

Although I do condone creativity in whatever we do and am glad to see it in this year's NDP theme song, I have to admit that it is just another desperate attempt by the organizers to engage with the younger generation here

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...