Sunday, September 09, 2012

Enlistment: One year anniversary

One year ago today, I was sitting in a bunk in Pulau Tekong with a bunch of unfamiliar faces. My head was freshly shaved botak, had my first taste of cookhouse food and kept waking up and going back to sleep during that very first night.

Fast forward one year and I already have some of the toughest and most memorable, physical as well as mental, experiences that NS has to "offer". They include six days of field camp, cleaning never-ending amount of rifles and having a needle pierced into your arm and moving around your flesh during a live IV drip lesson.

Every night, during the Tekong days, when I was getting ready to go to sleep, I always thought that time passed very slowly in the military. I guess I was wrong after all. After one year of sweat, blood, mud and rain, I am left with another year before I officially return to the civilian world.

The time now is 9pm. Last year at this time, I was sitting in the parade square with my company, handphones in our hands, waiting for the green light to be given to make our first call home. The night snack then was some ordinary bread which tasted wonderful while savouring it under the moon.

I am getting sleepy now, time for light's out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...