Saturday, September 01, 2012

Phone call scam


A couple of hours ago, I received a call on my lau pok Samsung mobile phone from this number 66224790. Apparently, it looks like a local one although I cannot be one hundred percent sure.

The caller's strong Indian accent easily disclosed her race. The background noise was very loud during the start of the call and it took me a while before I could make out the words which she (had memorized and) was trying to say.

Here is roughly what the conversation between the both of us sounded like.

Caller (after a two-second pause): Good evening! I am Saya (I think so?) calling from ~background noise~ and your phone number has been ~background noise~. Congratulations...~more noise~

Me (already pretty sure that it's some scam call): Sorry, can't hear you. It's very noisy, can you say again?

Caller: Ok. I apologize. I said your phone numBER (emphasizing) has been selecTED (emphasizing again) to win a blah blah blah (I can't recall what imaginary contest it was) contest.

Me (sounding excited): Oh ok!

Caller: You are a Singapore PR, permanent resident right?

Failed. Your father on the other line is a true blue Singapore citizen.

And the fun has just started.

Me: Nooooo. I am in India! Indian! Indian!

Caller: No, you are in Singapore!

Me: No, Singapooor? Indian! I am India citizen!!!

Caller: Yes! You are an Indian in Singapore.

Me: No! This is India! What Singapooor?

Caller (sounding unconvinced): Erm, you are in India?

Me: Yeeeeah, Innnndia.

Caller (tries o test me by changing topic): Ok, so you're from India right?

I knew the conversation was approaching a twist. Hence, I fired a question first before the caller could test where on earth am I really at.

Me (immediately): Ya, are you calling from Singapore?

Caller: Yes and you are from India right? Do you know the movie 3 Idiots?

Yeah I do. It is one of the highest-grossing Bollywood movies featuring Kareena Kapoor but why should I answer that question?

Me: Is your office in Singapore?

Caller: You know the movie...

Me: Wait, I asked first, you answer my question! From Singapore.

Caller: Yes, my office is in Singapore.

Me: Which part of Singapore?

Caller: It is 30 Hill Street, you heard of it before?

Incredibly, I could hear that sentence clearly.

Me: Hmmm, noooo! I dooon't think soooo but I can call the police to catch you!

And I hung up the call.

Well, I am still contemplating whether should I report this incident to the police. The number there is clearly a local one so the case might be less complex to handle.

Still thinking hard about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...