Saturday, December 05, 2009

How does the outside world look like?



This morning, I looked out of my kitchen window and saw three workers painting the opposite block. My neighbourhood is having some upgrading works currently for your information

I looked at them doing their job and for that moment, I could sense their hardship. Leaving their homeland for a foreign place to provide a better life for their families. This made me ask myself, how does the outside world look like?

I have never been out of Singapore for the past eighteen years and eight months of my life since I was born. My passport is still waiting for its virgin stamp and it is still waiting patiently after expiring for more than two years. The furthest place which I have ever been to away from my home is Pulau Ubin

I have yet to travel overseas in my life so far. Not an easy feat to achieve considering that I live in an era where budget airlines are a reality and travel agencies come up with affordable holiday deals every now and then

Looking at those workers, I told myself that although I was more lucky then them as I was born in Singapore, I have something which they don't. The experience of physically in a foreign country

Ironically, I am in the top three among my Facebook friends in the Geo Challenge game but people still think that I am a lousy liar when I told them about the 18 year record I hold. I don't feel ashamed about it, instead I am proud that not many people of my age can match this record of mine

I have to hear from a Filipino friend that Malaysia had extremely big paos and learn from a Chinese classmate that Langkawi was a beautiful place. I can only read about these places in the papers and look at them on TV

Zero. I have been abroad for zero times. However, I have no intention of breaking this zero currently. I hope to preserve this magnificent zero at least until I complete my National Service. But I can't even guarantee if I will be posted overseas during my two year stint

The only fascinating night scene which I can think of is Marina Bay. My impression of markets are wet, "a bit dirty" and run down although many others around the world are of a complete difference. I take security for granted because the police here never fails to protect us

I still love my country of course but there is still one unanswered question. How does the outside world look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...