Tuesday, February 24, 2009

TV analysis: Star Awards 2009, The Dream-catchers

Now that I am done with my exams, I will have more time for this blog. So stayed tuned for more exciting content right here

First of all, I would like to congratulate Slumdog Millionaire on winning best picture at the 81st Academy Awards. I was expecting it to beat the other nominees which include Frost/Nixon, Milk, The Reader and last but not least, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The latter is all about the hype of Brad Pitt and nothing else excites the audience. It is all him here and there in the whole movie. If Brad Pitt was not part of it, I think the film will be pretty dull and not as hyped up as it is now

Slumdog Millionaire is more "slice of life". At least the characters in it are realistic and do grow from old to young which is I think is really dumb creativity. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has only one main point to attract potential movie go-ers, that is the gostun way of Brad Pitt's life. Like what Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times said "The movie's premise devalues any relationship, makes futile any friendship or romance, and spits, not into the face of destiny, but backward into the maw of time." By the way, he gave the film two and a half stars only

So you should know which film to watch if you have yet to make up your mind(eating too much KFC is unhealthy, that's why I'm not advising you to do it this time). I have spoken, the Oscars have recognized, Slumdog Millionaire rules! Back to the topic on Oscars, I was sitting in front of the TV during noon yesterday, eagerly awaiting Steven Spielberg to announce the winner. He crapped a lot of stuffs on filming here and there(maybe to kill time), then the nominees video was super duper long until I was a bit pek chek. Then the telephone rang and I went to answer. When I hung up and returned to the TV, all those indian and ang moh actors were already making their way up on stage so I knew who the winner was but I missed the exact moment again, just like when Obama became president.

More TV analysis coming up...

We shall take a commercial break first

***



The UEFA Champions League is back! Old rivalries, renewed feuds and a burning desire to win. 16 teams, 7 different countries, 1 champion. The first knockout round will begins tonight!

***

Back to more analysis. The 2009 Star Awards nominees list is out and I am here to report it first hand. Here are some of the nominees

Best Actor
戚玉武 (小娘惹)
方展发 (小娘惹)
彭耀顺 (奶爸百分百)
陈汉玮 (不凡的爱)
郑斌辉 (黄金路)
黄文永 (一房半厅一水缸)

Best Actress
欧萱 (小娘惹)
白薇秀 (小娘惹)
陈莉萍 (黄金路)
陈莉萍 (一房半厅一水缸)
范文芳 (沸腾冰点)
陈靓瑄 (黄金路)

Best Supporting Actor
姚玟隆 (小娘惹)
林明伦 (小娘惹)
章缜翔 (小娘惹)
戴阳天 (小娘惹)
周初明 (黄金路)
朱厚任 (沸腾冰点)

Best Supporting Actress
向云 (小娘惹)
林梅娇 (小娘惹)
郭蕙雯 (小娘惹)
黄慧 (小娘惹)
李茵珠 (小娘惹)
蔡佩璇 (黄金路)

Best Variety Show Host
李铭顺 (心晴大动员)
权怡凤 (心晴大动员)
钟琴 (抢摊大行动)
郭亮 (艺点心思)
李腾 (都是大发现3)
陈建彬 (黄金年华之斗歌竞艺2008)

Best Variety Programme
非常Superband
艺点心思
心晴大动员
至尊厨王2
SMART省钱王2
抢摊大行动

Best Drama
小娘惹
一房半厅一水缸
心花朵朵开1
不凡的爱
一切完美
黄金路

*Sorry that all the words are in Chinese

What can I say about it? Sort of disappointing but it was not unexpected. The Little Nyonya swept the majority of the nominations. Take a look at the Best Supporting Actress list for example, it is just one 肉骨妹(蔡佩璇) vs. the whole bunch from TLN. I do not understand why Chew Chor Meng didn't make it into the Best Actor Category, he played a big part in The Golden Path and only got nominated for Best Supporting Actor. Another big reaction from myself when I first saw the list was Felicia Chin. How did she manage to get nominated? I sense there is some secret here. Anyway, I have just one hope which is The Little Nyonya doesn't get to win any award. Until today, I don't get it what is the big fuss over this Peranakan themed drama. Jeanette Aw is still a log no matter which drama she acts in and all those dumb storylines in the show

I will give a more detailed analysis in the next few days about the Star Awards

As requested by Teck Cheong, I shall give a review on The Dream-catchers(未来不是梦). This drama is something like Liverpool FC. Before everything started, it will boast that it is very good and at the beginning of the show, it was considered quite interesting. But as time goes by, people get bored of it because the plot does not have a really exciting part which is hard to anticipate. People started watching because it is different from the ordinary family kind of dramas. The genre here is engineering which is quite new and fresh for people to watch but it can be emphasized even more

For the characters, i still prefer Rui En with her long and coloured hair. Her bob hairstyle in the show makes her lose the limelight among other female actresses. You can google it yourself to compare



As for Paige Chua who acted as a tomboy, she did managed to do a good job I must say but she still showed a glimpse of her feminine side which means there is still room for improvement



As for Dawn Yeoh, I think she is seriously not the dancing type. She looks rather stiff on TV when she dances. Well, but she combined well with Nat Ho in the drama



Elvin Ng deserves a thumbs up from me for his Japanese character. He speaks fluently like a "Jap-Chi", making pauses at the right moments when talking which really made him look like someone for the land of the rising sun



The other actors like Shaun Chen, Tay Ping Hui, Jessica Liu, I have no comments for them. Just wanna say Tay Ping Hui looks the same in every drama he is in no matter what character he is acting as

That's all for today. Don't forget to catch the Uefa Champions League

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...