Friday, November 06, 2009

Sports

Sports sports, yeah here we go and if you think I am only a football columnist, think again

Although golf is the most boring sport ever on earth to me and I doubt I will ever play it in my life too, I do watch and follow it on a regular basis

The average golf fan should have guessed that I am going to talk about the current WGC-HSBC Champions tournament held in Shanghai, China. Starting from 2009, it will be a World Golf Championship event

Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson soared to great heights today(day two) with the world number one grabbing a 67 for the second straight day to joint leaders with Nick Watney. World number two Mickelson was one better at 66 but his 69 of day one compensated to place him in second

I don't think Sergio Garcia, the reigning champion, can defend his title which he won through a play-off with Oliver Wilson last year. He is ranked 45th in the leaderboard at the moment

I want Tiger to beat Mickelson and go on to win the competition. He has the ability to do so. Well, it is because these players are participating in the tournament which attracts people all around the world to watch

I hope Tiger Woods will come participate in the Singapore Open one day. I believe that day will arrive before he ends his career. Anyway, the black horse of this competition is Japanese teenager, Ryo Ishikawa. He is five shots behind the leaders after a 72-67 for the first two days. Do look out for this guy

Padraig Harrington was a disappointment with a 74-69 to date. He should have been better than that and it will take tremendous effort and some luck if he wants to climb up to the top

Yeah so final prediction, Tiger Woods for the win

***

I bet you have never expected that I do watch the gambling-themed sport, horse racing. Ok, I do follow it but not frequently and I do not gamble on races

The upcoming Singapore Gold Cup will have many eyes glued on it. This domestic Group One race has a 1.35 million purse and spans over 2200 metres

Last year's winner, El Dorado, was a surprise upset. This year, Ronnie Stewart's and his horse will start in barrier two. Not a bad position though. Watch The Crab drew the "wonderful" marble one during yesterday's post position draw

People are saying that Big Maverick is the big favourite to win. I agree with them but I would be putting my money on Given Vision if I were a punter. The Stephen Gray-trained stayer is in barrier fourteen and it will be interesting to see if it can get the extra distance as stated by Gray

Desert Links will be the (real) black horse of the competition. This South African horse has the ability to pull it off in this stamina-required race. Mr Line, the 2006 winner, is also a good bet since he is starting in barrier ten

Well, I hope I provided some useful information in case if you have no money to buy a punter's guide. But my advice is still to no invest on horses. Numbers and balls are more practical I think

***

And finally, it is football

I would like to discuss about my all-time favourite club, Liverpool FC. Their current season is in tatters, put the blame on their eccentric manager, injuries to key players, lack of determination and ahem, beach balls

Rafael Benitez is really the Picasso of football. His uncanny artistic talent like the painter is a fact. Both of them are from Spain too. The problem is, the latter was successful. As for Benitez, it isn't always the case for him

Take Wednesday's Champions League for example, he substituted Fernando Torres with only three damn minutes remaining. Benitez must have been thinking that David Ngog will score in injury-time again like what he did against Man United as a substitute

Even if it was a time-wasting antic, a defender should have been brought on instead to preserve the precious lead which they got after Ryan Babel's spectacular goal. Babel should have started in place of Andriy Voronin anyway

If only Voronin's skills were similar to his long and silky hair, the Reds would have been a much better side. He looks better off playing in Germany. The Ukaranian has only scored one goal so far since returning to Anfield and that was against Singapore in a friendly

Here are some factors which might change Liverpool's fortunes(if they do happen)

1. Torres and Gerrard stay injury-free forever

When they both play, not many defenders in the world can stop Liverpool but when they don't, even Tampines Rovers look capable of finishing the Reds off. Oh yeah, we still have Yossi Benayoun. Oh no, but he can only score a hat-trick against Burnley

2. Alberto Aquilani the hero

The highly-rated midfielder will have to make an immediate impact upon his return from injury. It is still early to say if he can fill in Xabi Alonso's boots but I think he can. Lucas, get ready to warm the bench

3. We have money

The American owners miraculously manage to generate funds for Benitez to spend in the transfer window. Hopefully, the manager will get it right and buy the right players. No more long hairs please. Voronin comes to my mind

4. Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea all fall

Plus Tottenham, Manchester City and co. Everybody else in the Premier League fails except Liverpool. Wow, that sounds even harder than winning Toto for two straight times. In short, this is impossible

5. Better tactics and skills

Liverpool does not have a natural right winger. Dirk Kuyt runs around like a headless chicken, Benayoun dribbles diagonally to make use of his skills. So who crosses from the right then? Glen Johnson? Then who will cover at right-back when there's a counter-attack?

Lucas is not qualified to be a Liverpool player. That sounds harsh. Alright, I shall rephrase, he is only qualified to be a Liverpool reserve player. Sotirios Kyrgiakos was a bad buy this summer. Oh yeah, another long-haired guy again


6. Sack Benitez and hire me!!!

Yes. That's right, I am the man or rather the saviour of the Kop, what are waiting for George Gillet and Tom Hicks? Offer me a contract now! Oh wait, I haven't got my coaching license yet. Never mind, sign me as a playing staff, I can make an impact on the pitch as well

And I have short hair

***

That's all the sporting action I've got today

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...