Monday, April 13, 2009

Getting old/ My first bet

Yesterday when i took the lift at my block, there was this comical scene involving me in it. I was taking the lift from eleven storey to the ground floor when it stopped at sixth storey for a group of people to enter. They were all from the same family I assume. One old man, a young couple, another young guy, one older woman and a small boy came in together

Here's the interesting part. The old man told the small boy something. It is all in Mandarin so I will translate the conversation into English here

Old man: boy, what must you tell uncle?
Small boy: huh?
Old man: what must you tell uncle for letting you come in?
Small boy: orh, thank you uncle!

Well, I am an uncle?

20 seconds later...

The boy took out his water bottle to drink. He was standing in front of me

Old man: eh ah boy, careful ah, you drinking water don't make onto uncle hor
Small boy(didn't really bother): ummmm
Old man: be careful uncle hor

The older woman glanced at me and looked paiseh because I was called uncle. The young couple was too embarrassed to even look at me and looked as though they cannot wait for the lift to reach the ground floor and quickly run out

Another year has passed, I am really getting older I guess

During lunch today, I "bought" myself a late birthday present. I went with Wyndell to the Singapore Pools branch near my secondary school at Ayer Rajah to bet for the first time officially. Actually it is not really official because I only shaded on the paper while Wyndell helped me place the bet at the counter as he was buying Toto

I placed a bet for match 0501, bet type 01, selection number 03. Go find out yourself at the Singapore Pools website if you would like to know what I bet. The ironic thing at that branch when we went there was that the 4D and Toto area was all men while the football area was all women. So I was like the only guy there in that area excluding Wyndell who was waiting for me to finish shading

Talk about change in habits of both genders in modern times. It was stated that the odds was $3 when I was first shading but when the betting slip came to my hand, it stated $2.93 only. A check on the website and the price has plunged to $2.85

Looks like many people are betting the same as me as we have the same belief for the match

You'll never walk alone

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...