Thursday, January 29, 2009

4 days update

As promised, guranteed and confirmed that I will update today, I will update today. What a lame sentence. So let's start with the first day of Chinese New Year. Woke up in the morning and headed downtown to Orchard Road. No. It's not for shopping but to a temple which I have been to since young. According to the rules, those who are born in the year of goat has sort of "offended"(correct me if I used the wrong word)this year which is the ox year. So I had to buy some joss paper and stroke myself there

After that, I went to my auntie's house at Lengkok Bahru for lunch like what we always do every Chinese new year. Reached there and saw a funeral downstairs so we had to make a big detour to reach the block my auntie was staying. Finally when we arrived, it was about 12 plus. We were the first to reach anyway(like every year). We decided not to wait for my second uncle and his family as they are known for their lateness since many years ago. Eat and ate and eat. There was abalone but I only managed to eat 1 slice because when I wanted to take the second piece, the plate had mysteriously ended up at the other side of the table

Nothing nice was eaten, not even the cold abalone which I think was hibernating in the fridge for several hours. Except for the soup which is drank and not eaten, the rest were ordinary. After eating, I sat down on the sofa to watch TV and waited eagerly for my second uncle(and his hongbao)to arrive. They came at 2pm at last and the hongbao was in my pocket at last. Second uncle's hongbao. Check. Auntie's hongbao. Check. Grandmother's hongbao. Check. Move on to next mission

Next, we travelled on the way to Hougang via Toa Payoh which made me very sleepy when I passed by that place. This time, it is my father's side. Reached my first uncle's house at 3 plus and guess what, we are the first again. If there were early bird awards for CNY visits, I would have won a considerable number of them. Sat in the living room in front of the TV. Then my first aunite came with a plate of bak kwa. They were all sliced into real small squares, slightly bigger than the size of a keyboard button. As the size was so "great", it did not made me enjoy it much but my father said it was delicious and he was the one eating most of it there. Waited and waited for the others(and their hongbaos)to come

At last, all who were supposed came did came. And my da gu made me malu at there man. She came over to me to give me my hongbao, then when I stretched out my hand to receive it and was about to say thank you, she pulled her arms back. She said she should not give me first since I am...as she walked away(did not hear what she mumbled). In the end, she did came back with another one which looks different. I was wondering if the new one has more or less money in it

Fast forward. We left my first uncle's house as my mission was accomplished. We headed back to Lengkok Bahru for dinner at my auntie's house with the same ordinary dishes a.k.a. leftovers that need to be consumed or they will be a waste. This time, I ate 3 slices of abalone but I still think the soup is the only dish worth taking note of. While eating, I watched the special The Little Nyonya show

It was so funny and reminded me of the days when I criticised it on this blog and to other people. My favourite parts were the fake horse riding and the fake train moving. You need to watch it to understand what I mean. The part where Pan Ling Ling was shown slapping many people was also hilarious. I did not notice that she had actually slapped so many people in the drama

Anyway, The Little Nyonya DVD is now out but do not go and get it unless you want to watch this heavily criticised show by many people. In the end, we went back home at about 8 plus and I was quite tired by then

Second day of Chinese New Year. Went to marina bay for the River Hongbao thingy only to discover that it opens at 6 in the evening. So went to Sentosa instead for the flower festival. I took the monorail from Vivocity for the first time. It costs three dollars by the way, no comments. As it was Chinese New Year, the place was very packed. There were people from China, India, ang moh countries etc. Speaking of which, the queue was extremely long. We had to queue from the open area at 3rd floor all the way to the ticket booth which has only three counters. There were machines which sold the tickets too but the queue there was equally lengthy. With my kiasu-ness and the help of some luck, I managed to snatch a seat in the monorail out of a hundred over passengers

Excluding the one at Vivocity, there are only two stations in Sentosa currently. The fourth one is still under construction with the integrated resorts. While I am on this topic, I have to say that it was sort of a thrilling ride. The reason is because, when the monorail approaches the area to where the construction site is, it starts to slow down. Be it on deliberation or for some reasons which only the designers and drivers will know, when I looked down from the window, it was a bit scary. The bottom is actually the ground which was dug up for construction purposes. The whole area looked like some ancient civilisation from Egypt

When the monorail arrived at the first station, no one alighted. The Malay guy outside shouted "flower, flower" "hua hui" but everybody ignored him. Next stop which is also the last stop saw all the passengers squeezing out like a bunch of ants escaping from their nest after some insecticide was sprayed in it. Walked all the way to see the flower exhibition and was a bit disappointed. The flowers all looked beautiful and fresh but they were just plucked from somewhere and stucked into the soil there. Looks rather unnatural to me throughout my walk there

Finally, took the monorail back to mainland and went home. As expected, the vehicle was full of humans and I did not manage to get a seat this time. But I still enjoyed the thrilling ride when the monorail slowly moved past the construction area

The end for day two of Chinese New Year

Yesterday was the start of a new working day for people but many lazy bums took leave I think. The bus was unusually empty in the morning at around the 8am peak hour. Saw Cheng Hao in the bus, he occupied two seats with himself and his bag so I sat somewhere else

Anyway, the highlight of yesterday was my preparation for today's Oral Communication individual presentation. I spent more than half of the day editing the slides and brainstorming about what funny things I can say in class to make people laugh. That is why I did not have much time to spare for blogging but I must say it was good investment of my time

Today, we had to dress formally for school again. The lecturer mentioned that we can afford to be more slack this time so I wore a short sleeve shirt and did not bother to tuck it in just like the previous time. In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that I kena-ed second but I ended up being number five today because I wanted everyone to arrive before I present. If I were the second presenter, there would only be five audiences

So how did I fare? Well, I think I will award myself with a 7.5/10 score because I want to give myself more room(or rooms)for improvement. At the very least, I managed to achieve my objective which is to make everybody laugh for at least one time. Then I made use of my classmates' topics(cycling and bowling) to indirectly show that my topic(or sport)is the best. Oh yes, my topic is on football, a topic which I am too familiar with that it looks impossible to say everything about it between six to eight minutes

To those who got suan-ed by me, I would like to apologize. It was done for the sake of entertainment and humour only

We took several class photos which were incomplete because one person was absent

This is my favourite photo as my unphotogenic face is hidden among other faces

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...