Saturday, January 03, 2009

First day of school

Yesterday, while I was walking in Clementi, I noticed something which I have not seen for at least the past four weeks. Yes, it is students wearing school uniforms and white shoes, carrying their bags and books, either alone or in a noisy group. Speaking about wearing school uniforms and white shoes, the last time I did it was during my literature examination during the 2007 O levels. I wore an office like attire to collect my O level results instead of our white or yellow uniform which most people wore on that day and my shoes were black. While walking into the hall, I met York Seng and he even commented about my attire and stared at those Converse sneakers which paled in comparison to his ordinary white shoes

Ok, back to the topic on what I saw on the streets. Yesterday was the first day of school for kindergarten, primary and secondary school pupils. Most parents of primary one students would take leave and stand outside(or inside)the school to take a peek at their little boy or girl if they are safe and sound. Primary six students will be preparing for their PSLE which decides their fate of which secondary school hall they will be sitting in with strangers exactly one year later. Secondary one students will find themselves in an awkward position as they have become the smallest in the school after being the eldest in primary school last year. Secondary three male students would also feel awkward as they are wearing long pants after two years of shorts. Secondary four students start to see both darkness and light as their dreaded O levels and exciting prom nights await at the end of the year

Exactly five years ago, I was playing this stupid pirate's game in the classroom with strangers or should I say new classmates? It was interesting and fun though I did not win it eventually. I remember Wai Yuen was the first one out of the game and he had to sing the pirate's song in front of thirty-nine classmates plus our form teacher, Pek Aik Soon(I prefer calling teachers by their full names). "Oh way oh way it's a pirate's life" I still recall it and you have to sing with your arm moving in one direction. Nick was one of the first few friends I made because he is just before me in the class list so we were always sort of together when we had to stand in a row

Two years later when we were all in long pants and still look so charming, we got to know more people who were our new classmates. Nick, Wai Yuen, Jian Nan and I were all together in the same class again and that is where I got to know Teck Cheong, Aarti, Jason etc. York Seng also became my new classmate but we have already known each other in NCC since sec one. Then we had a useless form teacher in Lindy Goh who only knows how to give reminders to students who are misbehaving in class. Three reminders and your parent will be called, correct me if I'm wrong Wai Yuen, Nick, Teck Cheong. I would like to elaborate more on sec three

We had the worst bunch of teachers in secondary three

Our physics teacher, Tan Puay Eng who is also the discipline master is a time bomb. He can give detentions anytime he wants to anybody in class. There was once when I answered a question wrongly on the whiteboard and then like that also kena detention. Our other science teacher, Anglie Ng who teaches chemistry is a mad dog. She can scream (or bark)like a mentally unsound person. You would be really suay if she is your neighbour. To top it all, there was our literature teacher, Jane Chng. Another champion in screaming but a little more humane than Anglie Ng. Until now, I still cannot understand how did she become the school's contemporary dance teacher with her big figure. Notice that I use the word "big" to sound more polite

When it was secondary four two years ago, we were all too familiar with one another and the school surroundings. Everything started to get boring although some teachers have changed especially our form teacher which everybody would certainly give a thumbs up. Our maths teacher, Portia Tan, told us that Lindy Goh was too tired to manage us. It is said that our class is famous in school for having the worst discipline and top in everything that is bad

That's the end of my long winded story which is only a small quarter of my secondary school life. I will write more next time when I have time

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...