Saturday, January 31, 2009

Chingay

What's so interesting about watching beautifully decorated floats moving on the roads?

Every year, roads have to be closed, public buses have to take alternative routes, sweepers have to clean up the massive mess left behind by spectators throughout the night, shoppers are affected by the irritating noises and our usual weekend TV programmes have to be sacrificed for the broadcast of this event

Blame it all on the Chingay Parade

It has no useful purpose at all. Lightings and pyrotechnics rule the night parade, contributing to a high amount of electricity usage. So much so of promoting environmentally-friendly activities in the country. You may say that I must be at the place itself to really experience this phenomenal street parade before I make a comment. I had been there before, it was more than seven to eight years ago and all I recall is the huge crowd of people in front of me blocking my view. That is why I had never went back again

It is not as if every single float has a Zhang Zi Yi or Jackie Chan on it. Just some performers whom you do not even know how they look like because of their decorated masks. This year's event only sparked a tiny little bit of enthusiasm in me when Aarti told me that she will be performing on the third float called A Wonderland of Dreams and asked me to vote for it. So I guess I will be watching it on TV(again)to see if I can spot her

Speaking about the TV, I always have this feeling on a Chingay evening. It is like hey, why must you broadcast this thing and not the usual show that people are watching every weekend? Chingay, you are so selfish. You are not NDP, he is older and more important than you. NDP has army tanks, you only have pretty and nice looking floats. Anyway, if you watch it on TV, you will only get to see performers performing for three to five minutes? Then the next group will come when you are halfway through enjoying the first one so it is quite annoying to try appreciating it

I don't like Chingay Parades

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...