Sunday, October 04, 2009

Mid Autumn Festival

Believe it or not, I actually forgotten that lanterns were part of Mid-Autumn Festival celebrations. I guess my mind was intoxicated with all those pretty looking mooncakes this year. I only recalled that there was such a thing called a lantern when I was strolling in Chinatown last night. As I was walking beside that huge temple in Chinatown, I noticed there were some objects dangling above me. I tilted my head up and realized that it was that familiar childhood toy which I had cleanly forgotten about. Yeah, we can classify it as a toy even if it requires fire to play

I still remember about eleven or twelve years ago, I was "playing" lanterns(sorry I can't think or a better verb than playing) with Siew Fang and her brother together with our dads at the playground near our blocks. Hers was a rooster and mine was some enormous yellow-coloured sphere-shaped thing. I can't really remember what took place but I think her brother was quite fed up as he was still considered underage to hold a lit up lantern

Honestly, I don't see the fun of holding a portable lighting device. Alright, I hope I didn't offend any lantern lovers here but this is just my opinion

Let's move on to mooncakes. Every year after this period, I reckon my cholesterol level will increase by a considerable amount. The reason is simple. I only eat mooncakes with egg yolks and it has gotta be double egg yolk

Anyway, if I do not eat as much as I want, I will have to wait for the earth to rotate one round around the sun before I can savour this heavenly pastry again. While we are on the topic, I think my glucose level will also multiply. Blame it all on the lotus paste and my greediness

My record of eating the most pieces of mooncakes at a time has got to be during the Mid-Autumn festival singing competition which I participated in 4 years ago. I gulped down ten pieces, I think Stanley was the runner-up with 8. Well, it's free so bu chi bai bu chi. Oh yes, I also finished two full cups of Chinese tea. You need to drink tea while eating a mooncake and looking at the moon right?

We shall stop here. I have a sudden urge to eat mooncakes again and it has gotta be double egg yolk

No comments:

Post a Comment

My $0.02 worth on NS

So it's down to eighteen days. Eighteen more days as a full-time national serviceman, eighteen more days before I am discharged from th...